Sunday, May 2, 2010

Split Personality Acapella

by Laurie Knapp

I enjoy looking for amateur vocal talent on YouTube, but I must say that among all of the cover songs I find, my favorite are the "split personality acapellas." Acapella arrangements of popular songs, often performed by college singers, feature vocal parts for all lyrics and instrumentation. Many singers on YouTube have taken it a step further. Not having the luxury of a group of talented peers, they perform all the vocal parts themselves. Usually the accompanying video is pulled off quite nicely by six or seven identical heads in split screen. But arranger and producer Kurt Hugo Schneider has found a way to make it a bit more interesting. I don't want to spoil it by explaining it. You just have to see for yourself!

"Michael Jackson Medley" sung by Sam Tsui


"Taylor Swift Medley" sung by Tiffany Alvord

No comments: